25 May 2009

Recipe Monday



Apple Cakes

I made these beauties to bring along to work this morning for a team meeting. They've gone down a treat :)

Ingredients:

1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of self raising flour
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup butter, cut into chunks
1 egg, beaten
water as needed, probably no more than a tablespoon depending on the size of your egg
1 can pie apple
cinnamon to taste

Method:

In a large mixing bowl combine both flours and sugar. Rub butter into the flour and sugar until the mixture resembles fine bread crumbs. Make sure there are no big lumps! Add the egg and mix thoroughly, if the dough comes together at this stage you don't need to add any water. If it's still crumbly add some water very slowly until it comes together in a ball. Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.
When the dough is ready very lightly flour your board and roll out to about 2mm thick and cut out circles. These can be any size that you want them really. I used a scotch glass for mine. Make sure that you cut out even numbers for the bases and the lids. Put your apples in a bowl and mash them roughly with the cinnamon. When all of your circles are ready place them on a oiled tray, you can put them close together because they don't spread. Spoon some apple into the centre of each circle. Make sure that it's not to much for the lid to cover. Brush water around the edge of the circles and put on the lids. Push down all around the edges to seal. Cook these at
180c for around 20 minutes, or until the pastry has gotten a little colour and hardened. Let them cool completely and ice them with your favourite icing. Yum!

I hope this made sense, I'm not really great at writing recipes. I'm also putting my pride aside and using a Mr.Linky, even though I'm not sure that anyone will be playing along! Happy recipe day everyone!

-Jemma

4 comments:

Jessica Lonard (The Crafty Librarian) said...

I'm joining in! Yahoo!

Jenaveve said...

Lovely idea! (Too bad I missed this week's).

Miss Muggins said...

Yum,I thought applecakes were something you only bought, being way too fiddly to make yourself. Yours look seriously delicious. I did once (in another life) make neenish tarts, which no one at the party believed I had made!

pepper said...

yay yum! looking forward to baking up a storm (with a great excuse to do so!)

free html visitor counters

Followers